Monday, September 3, 2012

Hi everyone. My name is Lorna Nissen. This semester starts my second year as a doctoral student in the Department of Plant Pathology & Microbiology. I am in Dr. Young-Ki Jo's lab, where my research involves detection, molecular characterization, monitoring and management of Rhizoctonia solani AG 2-2 LP that causes large patch in zoysiagrass in Texas. In conjunction with that, I am developing a baiting method using wooden toothpicks to detect and monitor R. solani and other Rhizoctonia spp.

I came to Bryan-College Station from Peachtree City, Georgia, where I have lived since September 1990 and maintain a residence. Prior to Georgia, I lived in Enid, Oklahoma; North Charleston, South Carolina; Del Rio, Texas; Lincoln and Fremont, Nebraska; and Bedford, Massachusetts. I have moved around, having been an Air Force brat and wife. I also have traveled internationally, visiting Canada, Mexico, Honduras, Israel, China, Thailand, Scotland, Ireland and England.

I have Sheila beat in terms of when I received my bachelor's degree. So I will just say that I hold a bachelor of arts degree, having majored in newspaper journalism, from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. Including high school, college and post college work, my career as a reporter and editor spanned 18 years. I decided to change careers and returned to school in January 2005. I earned an associate's degree in environmental horticulture from Griffin (GA) Technical College in March 2006, a bachelor of science in environmental resource science from the University of Georgia in August 2008, and a master of science in plant pathology from the University of Georgia in December 2010. My master's research involved molecular characterization and detection of Xylella fastidiosa in southern highbush blueberry, a new host for the xylem-limited bacterium, and in the pathogen's most likely insect vector, the glassy-winged sharpshooter.

When not studying or doing research, I enjoy reading, gardening and watching a few TV shows such as Pretty Little Liars and Vampire Diaries. I enjoy books by Steve Berry, Dan Brown, Cassandra Clare and Lauren Kate.

I have four grown children and two grandchildren. Jeremy lives in Monroe, Louisiana, with his wife, Jennifer, and two sons, Daniel and Kieron. Nicole lives in Shanghai, China. Dianna is a sophomore, majoring in biology, at Berry College in Rome, GA. Danielle is taking a semester off from school at Georgia Southern in Statesboro, GA, where she is majoring in graphic design. My husband, Larry, is a captain for Delta Air Lines in Atlanta, GA, and is busy babysitting my two cats, Angel and Grace, and taking care of our house. He does get to the B-CS at least once a month since it is hard for me to commute to Georgia.


No comments:

Post a Comment